Sunday, November 04, 2007

Tarzan Brown Run


Today was the Tarzan Brown Mystic River Run. I was worried that I'd lost a step since last year, but I finished in 37:21 - 6 seconds faster than last year and good for a pace of 6:47. Considering my troubles pacing this year, I couldn't be happier with this run: 6:40, 6:52, 6:27, 6:51, 6:57 (1/2 mile) and 6:33 for the final mile. I knew going into the last mile and 1/2 that I was more or less going to break the 7:00 min/mile mark, so I was able to relax and bring it in strong.

The weather was perfect, the course was great and people turned out in droves. The local newspaper even has a story. Since they archive it (and make it a 'login' feature), I'll do some copying and pasting here:

There were residents sitting on stoops and standing in yards, people lined up, filling both sidewalks to enjoy what will be one of the last great days of autumn.

And somewhere, Tarzan Brown was smiling.

In what is as much a social gathering as a race, the 32nd annual Tarzan Brown Mystic River Run went off without a hitch. More than 700 runners participated and were treated to legendary local icon Johnny Kelley, who served as guest starter.

Soon after the 76-year old Kelley, the 1957 Boston Marathon winner, wished the runners good luck, he quickly ducked into a nearby front yard to take in the atmosphere of the day.

“This race is associated more with pure fun and one last good day of weather for so many people,” Kelley said.

It's also associated with Brown, the two-time Boston Marathon winner who would have relished a day like Sunday.

“This race went together nicely when Tarzan was alive,” Kelley said. “He was such a social person. This race in his honor is such a nice tie-in. He'd have been happy to know people were having such a good time. He always had an active social life.”

I'll be back to training probably Wednesday. I going to try and make it to the YMCA pool a few times/month during the winter. Here is my tentative winter training schedule:


Tempo = Threshold, metabolic fitness - increase speed and endurance.
Intervals = Increase running economy, speed and some endurance benefits.
Hills = Strength and endurance.
Distance = endurance.
Trail = mix of hills (strength) and endurance
Swimming = strength in upper body and core, improved breathing and injury prevention.
Biking = strength in legs and lungs, injury prevention.

Like last year, I'm going to try and cut-down on the running - but unlike last year, I'm going to try and maintain some intensity - and add in more swimming, biking and fun things like the trail run and speed work. We'll see how it goes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home