Monday, October 19, 2015

Bay State Marathon


Yesterday we headed up to Lowell to try and qualify for Boston.  The day was cold - but that may have actually been a good thing.  I started the race with the 3:25 pace group.  They were clicking off a little fast - maybe 7:45s for the first 12 miles or so, probably aiming for 7:23 and change.  I hung with them, actually ran a little ahead of them.  I needed to use the bathroom though, and stopped at mile 12 - losing a minute or so.  I never did catch them - but had them in sight until maybe mile 14 or 16.  Based on my splits, I was just under 7:50 at 16.3.  The wheels started to come off in the 18-20 range, and I ran 8:40s!!! the rest of the race (probably faster in the early 20s and barely running at the end).  Very similar to previous experiences - pain in the groin area and abdomen.  Left knee and left foot also were feeling the hurt.  I kept the legs moving as good as possible, and manged to fend off the 3:35 pace group, for a PR of 3:33 - but falling well short of my goal.  Maybe next year.  

The course was good and really well supported.  One thing I need to improve is more hill work during the marathon training since the hills (miles 14-16), though moderate, really didn't feel good the second time around.  I should probably also aim/train for a faster pace - and then hope when I fall apart that I can still crack 3:25.  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home