Sunday, June 28, 2020

First half of 2020 - in the books

Yesterday I wrapped up the first half of my 2020 running with a 10 mile run. All in all, it was a reasonably successful block of training. I accomplished my hill workouts, got a speed block in and remained more or less healthy for the entire time. Should be in decent shape heading into my next block which is a fall marathon - if we have any of those.

February and March I did the 8 week hill work - which starts with a 6x60 and progresses to 2x(45,90,120) session. I also managed to achieve the elusive strava 2000 meter hill climbing badge for the first time ever. I haven't exactly kept up with the hills using these workouts since then - but do have to do about 200-300/run whenever I run from Arlington - so it does establish a decent base. 

Next up was some flat (thank god) speed sessions. These showed nice progression as well. My first 2-miler was a 13:56 in early April and my first 3-miler was a pokey 21:30. Over the course of 8 weeks and and lots of tempos and intervals, I brought those down to 13:04 and 20:27 - which I'm pretty happy about. My mile fell to 5:54 from 5:50 last year - but I think given covid and the hot weather that day - probably comparable.

 Finally, I remained ok health wise. I won't claim this as a great win given my foot stil feels like crap some days - but nothing awful as yet. It did pretty well with yesterdays 10-miler. Knees felt a little weird at times as well - but seem to respond to the knee brace which i use on occasion. I'm now entering the first part of my 16-week marathon block - hope to put in some miles.

 I actually started this 2 days early - with the 10-miler. I also have some back yard ultra training to squeeze in this week. But other that that - pretty much 5 days a week, with one long run and a pretty easy tempo. It's pretty much the Hal Higdon level 2 plan. This looks like most of the emphasis is on the tempo/long run on back-to-back days and then has two xt/rest days in between an easier 3 day block of just 5 to 10 mile runs. Those start out pretty easy - so I'm throwing this backyard ultra into the mix early on. Goal is to not get injured - bail out at the first inkling of foot soreness or boredom.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home