Monday, September 26, 2016

Week 12 Long Run

This morning I headed out at 8:05 to do my final long run before the marathon.  My goal was about 20 miles and about 2 hours and 50 minutes of running.  I started by going across to Belmont and then over the Fitchburg bike path to alewife (8:20 and 8:11).  I then circled alewife and started my long ascent of the bike path (8:09, 8:16 and 8:49 and the pleasant st crossing).  I continued going up at a pretty good pace (8:28, 8:17, 8:16, 8:26).  Then there is a really nice downhill part which felt amazing (8:16, 7:51) before I turned around near Bedford and headed back up into Lexington (8:19, 8:28 and 8:25, 8:22).  Miles 16-19 are a mixed blessing, downhill, but not much work (7:48, 7:52, 7:47 and 7:54).  I tried to push the pace a bit, and took some comfort in that the plan only wants 16 miles, so at that point I did 16 mostly uphill miles.  The last mile, as always, was tough uphill (8:47, and 9:12 for the extra half).  8:16 overall gps pace.  Maybe a little faster than that subtracting out light stops and 2 water refills.

Injuries.  My right shin had some unpleasant feeling which I think was left over from my bad NB grocery shopping experience.  My left big toe was wrapped, but had that pain like the toe nail was going to blacken kinda throughout the run.  My back was sore, but not nearly as bad as before.  I think holding the water in the right hand, and not the left, helps for some reason.  I think it is related to caring the water, because I don't really feel it at all on my ten milers, but did start to notice it at about 5 or 6 miles in today.

Overall, I'm pretty pumped for how good that one felt.  I felt strong at the end, and the injuries were manageable.  Weather was perfect. I'm enjoying lazing about now.

Should mention that I did my 5 Saturday, and 6 yesterday, so that is 41 miles over the last four days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home